Thursday, March 22, 2012

Review: Much Ado About Nothing

We went to see Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare about a week ago and I loved it. Not only because I just find Shakespeare so interesting, and that is comedies are great, but because the whole experience was just wonderful!

I really liked how intimate the theater was. It was a pretty small theater and I loved how the actors were so close to you. I sat in the front row in the center so I was very close. The way the actors would come in from all different entrances and doors in the theater was really cool. I felt like i really had to pay attention to every different part of the theater at all times. It was very exciting. They would also come about 2 inches away from me and not seemed fazed at all. It was crazy!

I also liked how they set it in the 20's. I felt like for this play especially it worked quite nicely. Seeing as the 20's were full of mischievous and daring people like flappers and such it made a lot of sense with the plot. Also there were speakeasies too so the sneaking around that goes on through out the play worked well with that too. I found it funny it was set in the 20's because we had just been learning about them so it was very easy to link things back to the time.

The actors were exceptional as well, not to mention very hilarious at points. But I especially liked Benedick, I thought he did a very nice job of portraying his character. Also the woman who played Beatrice was very exciting and rude. Which made total sense for her character. I also really liked the contrast between Hero and Beatrice. Everything about them was complete opposites!

No comments:

Post a Comment